Take action against a really over-the-top anti-abortion bill, House Bill 465, titled “Clarify & Modify Certain Abortion Laws”.
As per NC NOW’s legislative update, “The war against women escalated with the introduction of House Bill 465. This bill goes beyond any other bill ever introduced in North Carolina.”
Call Rep. Nelson Dollar, at 919-715-0795, and tell him how outraged you are on these new attacks on women and on doctors and medical students. You can call and leave a simple message like, “Please tell Rep. Dollar how outraged I am at HB465. He has the ability to stop it. He needs to stop it.”
If you want to go beyond the simple messages, here are some points you can use about HB465. (Note: Since this article was written, the bill writers backed off their attacks on UNC and ECU.)
- It would ban abortions (with few exceptions) in facilities connected to the UNC and East Carolina University medical schools.
- It would bar these state medical schools from providing training in safe and legal abortions.
- It would eliminate — or, at the very least, drastically reduce — the abortion training programs that are in place. UNC-CH’s OB-Gyn training program is 5th in the country (2015).
- It would triple the waiting period for abortions from 24 to 72 hours
- It narrows the exception to the state’s 20-week abortion ban by restricting what counts as a true medical emergency (PP)
- It would ban all doctors except OB/GYNs from performing abortions
- It would burden doctors and clinics with costly, time-consuming and unnecessary bureaucratic reporting requirements.
- It would also interfere with caring for women who have miscarriages. Treatment for miscarriage can be same as for abortion.
Somehow they got four ‘conservative’ women to sponsor this awful bill. Reps. Jacqueline Shaffer, Pat McElraft, Rena Turner and Susan Martin.
Find links to the bill sponsors (including to contact information), bill co-sponsors and latest version of the bill content at http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2015&BillID=h465&submitButton=Go
For a summary of the abortion laws introduced here so far, see
“NC GOP takes two-pronged approach restricting abortion rights” at
McElraft shows how GOP agenda attacks women’s health choices, by Lisa Levenstein, at