NC NOW delivered copies of our pro-choice signature ad with NC NOW’s view on reproductive rights and related issues to every NC Senator and Representative in the NC House. NC NOW does a pro-choice signature ad every year to commemorate the Roe v. Wade anniversary. The ad runs in the Indy Weekly, and includes columns of names of pro-choice men and women in North Carolina.
Here is a picture of the 2014 pro-choice signature ad.
This year, the pro-choice signature ad packet included a folder with the following:
- Copy of the actual pro-choice signature ad from the Indy Weekly on Jan 22, 2015. Looks like the one above.
- Letter from NC NOW, including specific points against HB465, “72 hours informed consent in person or by phone” and against HB847, “Parental Rights and Medical Treatment of Minors.”
- Op-ed written by Dr. David Grimes and Dr. Amy Bryant that captures many of the problems with the updated version of HB465 that NC NOW has listed in multiple places – found at http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article19965231.html
- An explanation from many medical groups on why they oppose HB847. These groups are The North Carolina Pediatric Society, NC Medical Society, North Carolina Academy of Family Physicians, NC Psychiatric Association, North Carolina Obstetrical & Gynecological Society, NC Association of Local Health Directors, North Carolina College of Emergency Physicians, NC Nurses Association and NC Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. See the form at http://www.ncpeds.org/news-item/maintain-minor-concent
We normally deliver our packets on Monday evenings, starting at 5:30. However, the NCGA started locking doors on both the Legislative Building and the Legislative Office Building at 5pm (in order to thwart Moral Monday protesters). So we started delivery at 3pm this time.
Thanks to members of Durham NOW, Raleigh NOW and Fayetteville NOW for helping. Thanks for Chapel Hill NOW for trying to get to us!
Note: the edited version of the Op-ed is stored at https://northcarolinanow.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/doctorssayabortiondelaybad-30apr15.pdf
Actions to take:
- Take action on HB847 at https://northcarolinanow.wordpress.com/2015/04/20/take-action-on-hb847-puts-minors-at-risk-with-medical-treatments/
- Actions to take on HB465 are suggested at the end of the article about the 8 city HB465 tour. Points to make are included in the same article. Find it at https://northcarolinanow.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/hb465-protests-around-the-state-join-us/