The US Senate is going ahead with another terrible version of AHCA, the so called “American Health Care Act”, aka Trumpcare. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated that version would cause 23 million people to lose health care coverage and end protections for many. These are protections like forcing insurance companies to cover people with pre-existing conditions. Multiple sources say the Senate plans to hold their vote before the July 4 recess.
“[T]he plan is opposed by experts across the ideological spectrum, as well as groups representing doctors, nurses, hospitals, cancer patients, heart-disease patients and many others.” according to “Uh oh, Health Care Edition,” 6/8/17, NYTimes.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and other Republicans (completely shutting out Democrats and Independents) are planning to bring their health care bill to the floor before July 4 and there will be NO DEBATE, and NO AMENDMENTS ALLOWED. Also NO INPUT FROM THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY OR THE PUBLIC is allowed. This is outrageous and we need to let NC’s US Senators Burr and Tillis know that this is absolutely, totally unacceptable.
“By acting fast, [Senate Majority Leader Mitch] McConnell hopes to minimize the continuing and mounting evidence of sabotage as insurers file rates in places such as North Carolina and Pennsylvania that explicitly break out the specific impact of Trump’s sabotage,” as Andrew Slavitt says in ‘Sabotage, speed and secrecy in the Senate.'” Andrew M. “Andy” Slavitt is a former Acting Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, a position he held from March 2015 to January 2017.
Senators for NC – Burr and Tillis must be told again and again how bad this would be, and how they will be held accountable. We include a few ways to do this below.
The article continues, “McConnell deployed Rule XIV, a fast-track procedure that bypasses the committee process and moves the bill directly to the floor. Just as in the House, we’re on track to have a vote with no hearings (there were more than 100 for the ACA). Knowing the coverage loss will be significant, McConnell plans to vote within only days, or possibly even hours, of the release of the Congressional Budget Office score. “
Moving fast leaves opponents, and the public, with no time to catch up to the details. So start writing and start or continue protesting NOW! Please tell us of protests at other Burr and Tillis offices around NC, so NOW can share them.
People of all political stripes (and no political stripes!) are concerned about the massive loss of the Affordable Care Act/Obamacare. Options for what we can do!
- Protest in person at Senators Tillis and Burr’s offices. In Raleigh, people spend ‘Tuesdays with Tillis’ in front of Tillis’ Raleigh office, on the corner of New Bern and Person St. Every Tuesday, 11:30am-12:30pm. Grab a friend and start your own protest if you can’t find one.
- Call and/or email our US Senators directly. Use “How to contact NC’s US Senators – Burr and Tillis“ for various ways to reach them.
- Join in on phone calls with a group. The Health Action NC coalition is holding a Statewide Call-In Day this Thursday, June 15. Phone banks will also be done on Jun 22 and Jun 29, to beat the July 4th planned vote (and holiday weekend).
June 15 in Carrboro – https://www.facebook.com/events/676469612551701/
- Three in the Triangle on June 22 –
June 22 in Carrboro – https://www.facebook.com/events/119008965344519/
June 22 in Raleigh – https://www.facebook.com/events/375244222872507/
- Educate people. Indivisible Piedmont NC is holding an ACA Education Day on Saturday, June 24th from 3-4 on Fourth Street in Winston-Salem in front of Camino Bakery. Join them to hand out information about what we have with the ACA and what we stand to lose with Trumpcare!
- Tweet your heart out! More on that directly below in box.
Tweet Your Heart Out!
Use hashtags #keepNCcovered and #healthactionNC. Here are some sample tweets, from the Health Action NC coalition.
- Congress is closer than ever to repealing the Affordable Care Act. We need you call 1-866-426-2631 now & tell Sen. Tills to save the ACA! #keepNCcovered
- Trump Senators are working behind closed doors to fast-track a secret plan to repeal health care. Call Sens. Tillis & Burr today! #keepNCcovered
- Sens. Tillis & Burr are cutting health care so they can give tax breaks to the wealthy. Call them today & demand they protect our care! #keepNCcovered
- 54% of kids in rural NC depend on Medicaid, which the GOP health plan cuts by $839B. Tell Sen. Tillis to protect our care! #healthactionnc
- GOP Congress has held zero public hearings on their health care repeal. What are they hiding? Call & demand to see the bill! #healthactionnc