We invite you to join us on Tuesday, March 5, 2019, in Raleigh to support our North Carolina legislators, who are filing the bills necessary to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) to the U.S. Constitution. Here in North Carolina, we have the historic chance to bring equal rights to every citizen of the United States of America. North Carolina can be the 38th of 38 states needed to ratify the ERA. You can help! Here are 10 ways the ERA can make a difference!
We will gather at the North Carolina General Assembly, 16 West Jones Street in Raleigh, at 12:30 p.m. We need as many volunteers as we can get to show our legislators that North Carolinians support this important step forward in American history. Hope to see you in Raleigh.
The ERA would make it such that the federal government and state governments could not deny equality on the basis of sex. The ERA is necessary to help combat pay and pregnancy discrimination and to compel more equal enforcement of laws protecting against domestic and sexual violence.
For fun, you can take the #SashTag Challenge on Facebook at ERA NC Alliance and wear your sash on March 5. There is a #sashtag making party at the Scrap Exchange in Durham on Mar 3. Find it on facebook here.
Wear white and green for ERA, especially the ERA-NC Alliance t-shirts.
Draft Schedule for ERA at LB event (on facebook here):
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm Gathering in and around the Legislative Building (LB) at 16 W. Jones St.
- 1:30pm-2:00pm Press Conference in the LB Press Room
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Distribution and advocacy in LB/Legislative Office Building (next to Halifax Mall, out the back of the LB)
- 4:00pm-5:00pm Visit and be recognized in the NC House and Senate galleries
The Equal Rights Amendment. One more state. Not one more generation.
• Advocates to distribute materials to legislators
• Advocates to serve as a presence in the House and Senate galleries
• Silent Sentinels in ERA apparel to flank doors of leadership offices and building entrance steps throughout the afternoon.
• Volunteers to bring signs and fill the lawn and General Assembly.
Rules of the legislature: www.ncleg.gov/Files/about/buildingrules.pdf
Rules of special note: No signs on sticks. No oversize signs. In the galleries, no signs or food and beverages at all.
Security: Everyone must pass through security at entrances.
Parking, directions and dining information: www.ncleg.gov/About/Visitorinfo
Please share this invitation with everyone you know! See you there.
Read about first ERA Advocacy Day this year at “ERA Advocacy Day at NCGA a Big Success! 1/30/19.“