Advocates from NC National Organization of Women, NARAL Pro-Choice NC, Planned Parenthood South Atlantic, Action NC, Tuesdays with Tillis, MomsRisingNC and others rallied outside of Senator Thom Tillis’ Raleigh office to demand an end to policies which restrict women’s access to reproductive and other health care. Threats range from various bills banning abortions, to giving away taxpayer money to religious anti-abortion clinics, to cutting off a trusted and proven provider of real medical care to the women most impacted by attacks on reproductive health access.
Tuesdays With Tillis leader Karen Ziegler emceed the event which featured great speakers from the aforementioned organizations. This was the 138th consecutive Tuesdays With Tillis rally around Senator Tillis’ office. Here is the agenda with performers and songs and speakers with areas they covered.
- The Raging Grannies perform “Women We Are Rising”
- Gloria De Los Santos, Durham Director, Action NC – starts with a story and talks about discrimination and higher mortality rates that women of color and their babies face. Benefit that medicaid expansion would provide. Special action needed in Wake County.
- Felicia Burnett, Senior Campaign Director for Health Care, MomsRising NC – says women’s health care is a paramount issue and a fundamental human right. Essential to quality affordable health care coverage and care. Essential to the success of our country’s and our state’s families, communities and economies. Importance of ACA, Medicaid, more.
- Tara Romano, Executive Director, NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina – national situation. Tara shares Senator Thom Tillis’ record as the Speaker of the NCGA and the junior Senator from NC on women’s health care and the record is not one he should be proud of. Asks people to sign postcards. Pose with banner.
- Dani Hoffpauir, Triangle Field Organizer, Planned Parenthood South Atlantic – why the domestic gag rule forced Planned Parenthood to refuse Title X funding, at least for now. Sign postcards.
- Chant and march around to Senator Tillis’ office.
- Song: “We’re Still Here” by Holly Near, led by Raging Grannies Vicki Ryder and Jade Dell and performer Randa McNamara.
- Gailya Paliga, President, NC NOW (National Organization for Women) spoke about Crisis Pregnancy Centers and how the state budget keeps giving more and more money to them, and Professor Gene Nichol has pointed out that violates separation of church and state. And suggested actions.
- Amanda Murray of Population Connection spoke about the global gag rule, and how the #FightForHer legislation would address it.
- Song: If you don’t like who’s in there, Vote Them Out! Led by Randa McNamara and Michael Flaherty.
The Trump Administration is openly hostile to women’s rights, and Senator Tillis has done nothing to take a stand against either the misogyny or racism of the president’s policies and rhetoric.
Letter to Senator Tillis: