There are so many important and interesting articles, we don’t want to lose track of them. In North Carolina, we have the lobbyist involved in the fundraiser being former Raleigh mayor Tom Fetzer, who told contacts that the fundraiser recipient could succeed House speaker Tim Moore. The 2 year anniversary of the murders at UNC-Charlotte is coming up on April 30 – victim/hero Riley Howell’s mom wrote an excellent op-ed after mass murders in March – people want change. A four-year federal investigation into longstanding Republican claims of voter fraud in North Carolina ended – and found nothing. Young congressman Madison Cawthorn touts the Covid relief funds helping his constituents, although he did not vote for them.
Many of these articles were included in most recent mailchimp email from NC NOW – if you want to receive the emails, fill in a volunteer form and put ‘Add me to email list” and other ways you want to be involved in the ‘What do you want to do’ note.
On the federal level, the U.S.’s first Indigenous cabinet secretary, Deb Haaland, is creating a unit to investigate missing and murdered Native Americans. Whistleblower #RealityWinner is still in jail, and a new documentary shows how egregious her situation is. After the 2 latest mass murders in March, Washington Post carried “Things I Don’t Ever Need to Hear or Read about A Shooter Again.” No excuses – we want Congress to make this stop.
1. “A campaign fundraiser planned in April for one of North Carolina’s most powerful state lawmakers is cancelled, after a text message by a prominent lobbyist (Tom Fetzer) notified others of the event.” You may remember Tom Fetzer as a former Raleigh mayor. “Fetzer gave the recipients of his message a strong reason for attending: Bell could be the successor to House Speaker Tim Moore.”
More at “Fundraiser for Rep. Bell is off after lobbyist text,” 3/24/21, News and Observer, https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article250152705.html
2. How wonderful to have the U.S.’s first Indigenous cabinet secretary, Interior Secretary Deb Haaland. North Carolina has its own big problems with Missing and Murdered Indigenous People, especially Missing and Murdered Women and Girls.
More at “Haaland to create unit to investigate missing and murdered Native Americans,” 4/1/21, The Hill, https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/546102-haaland-to-create-unit-to-investigate-missing-and-murdered-native
3. “Federal prosecutors announced the end of a four-year investigation into longstanding Republican claims of voter fraud in North Carolina the other week. Their findings were significant – but not in the way they intended. After years of searching, including “dragnet-style” subpoenas of at least 44 counties and multiple state agencies, sophisticated data mining, invasive audits of state voter rolls, hundreds of hours of professional staff time and more, investigators were able to find almost no evidence of voter fraud at all.”
More at “The GOP’s Voter Fraud Investigation in North Carolina Was A Fraud,” 4/6/21, Cardinal & Pine, https://cardinalpine.com/story/the-gops-voter-fraud-investigation-in-north-carolina-was-a-fraud/
4. “A Minnesota man can’t be charged with felony rape because the woman chose to drink beforehand, court rules,” 3/26/21, Washington Post, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/03/26/minnesota-rape-alcohol/
5. “Reality Winner Was Vilified by the American Government. This Infuriating Doc Proves She Deserved Better.” 3/17/21, Indie Wire, https://www.indiewire.com/2021/03/united-states-vs-reality-winner-review-1234624223/
6. Things I Don’t Ever Need to Hear or Read about A Shooter Again, 3/19/21, Washington Post, https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/bad-faith-talk-about-shooter/2021/03/19/17d86fa2-8838-11eb-bfdf-4d36dab83a6d_story.html
7. “My son was killed in the UNC-Charlotte shooting. Can we stop this crisis?” 4/4/21, Charlotte Observer (and N&O), https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article250389796.html
8. “NC Mother: Lawmakers Should Give Up Their Health Care if They Won’t Expand Medicaid,” 3/23/21, Cardinal & Pine, https://cardinalpine.com/story/nc-mother-lawmakers-should-give-up-their-healthcare-if-they-wont-expand-medicaid/
9. “EQUAL PAY DAY: NO REASON TO CELEBRATE, NC,” 3/25/21, Charlotte Women’s Movement website, https://charlottewomensmovement.org/2021/03/25/equal-pay-day-no-reason-to-celebrate-nc/
10. “The office of US Rep. Madison Cawthorn praised federal funding for local health clinics but forgot to mention he and other Republicans didn’t vote for it.”
More at “NC’s Madison Cawthorn Skipped Vote but ‘Happy’ COVID Relief Funds Going to His WNC District,” 3/31/21, Cardinal & Pine, https://cardinalpine.com/story/madison-cawthorn-covid-relief/