2020 State Conference – Voting Our Future NOW!
This year’s upcoming election may be the most important one in American history. America’s future hinges on its outcome. It is incumbent on all citizens to not only vote for their preferred presidential candidate, but also to choose among contenders seeking other elected offices. We are all Voting Our Future NOW!
Here are shortcuts to registration and sponsorship.
- To register online, go to https://bit.ly/3hzy81p
- To pay online, go to https://bit.ly/32Am3Fc. Note: Attending for NOW members can be free due to sliding scale we offer.
- To print and mail in your registration form, use the form at https://bit.ly/33u59qZ
- To do a sponsorship (which includes registration), go to https://bit.ly/364DOyx.
Note: There are 2 steps to online registration – step 1 is to register online and sign up for workshops (first come first serve). Step 2 is to pay – either online or by printing and mailing in the 2020 NC NOW State Conference Registration and Sponsorship Form (so you register online and can order t-shirts, etc, but can mail your check in or make other arrangements).
Donald Trump’s incessant callousness, unrelenting recklessness, false statements, incendiary rhetoric, and non existent leadership have caused confusion and increased our societies polarization which, along with the COVID-19 pandemic, have placed the nation at a tipping point not experienced since the Great Depression. Trump’s behavior is supported by a number of other elected officials.
NC NOW’s annual conference is in October and we plan to encourage you to vote and give you some tools. We’ll provide NC NOW PAC endorsements as guidance and let you hear from some endorsed candidates. We have panels on some big topics of the day – more reason for you to vote. The NC NOW State conference begins the evening of Friday, Oct 9 and continues the morning through 1pm of Saturday, Oct 10. Please join us for an excellent program. We’ll be on Zoom to make sure everyone stays safe.
1. Keynote speaker: Christian Nunes
Read more about our new national NOW President here. Ms. Nunes speaks on Saturday, Oct 10.
2. Dr. Valerie Johnson is speaking about Racial Injustice in the Justice System for Women on Friday evening, Oct 9. Dr. Johnson is co-interim director for the new “Center for Racial and Social Justice” at Shaw University in Raleigh. She also serves as Shaw’s Dean of the School of Arts, Science and Humanities and as a Professor of Sociology. Article on her at https://wp.me/p22b2e-2R9
3. We’re having a panel on how the military #MeToo movement can improve handling of sex crimes at Fort Bragg and Fayetteville. Lots of problems with handling of sexual assault and sexual harassment in the military as you may have heard (#VanessaGuillen), and NC NOW is involved and in touch in Fayetteville. Panelists are Deanne Gerdes, Executive Director of Rape Crisis of Cumberland County, and Captain Erin Scanlon (retired), advocate for rape survivors. This will be moderated by NC NOW President, Gailya Paliga.
More on the Military #MeToo which began with #VanessaGuillen and Scanlon’s story at https://msmagazine.com/2020/08/01/the-military-failed-vanessa-guillen-and-others-it-must-do-better/ and on exposure of problems at Fort Bragg at https://msmagazine.com/2020/08/04/military-interference-in-sexual-assault-case-of-captain-erin-scanlon-at-fort-bragg/
4. We have great workshops planned, including
- “Microadvocacy,” learning how and when to better explain your position to friends and family, led by Vicky DeGroote, PoliticaNC (and NOW member)
- “How to Get Feminists Elected,” led by Tammy Brunner, former NOW chapter leader, running for Wake County Register of Deeds
- “NOW 101,” led by Roberta Waddle and Cindy Thomson, NC NOW leaders
- “Intersectional Feminism Is Our Future,” led by Kolieka Seigle, President of California NOW
- “Relational Organizing,” led by Sarah Moncelle, from Feminist Majority
These will be after the keynote on Saturday, October 10.
Mail in registration: Use NC NOW State Conference Registration for 2020
Online registration: There are 2 steps to this – part 1 is to register online and sign up for workshops (first come first serve). Part 2 is to pay – either online or by printing and mailing in the 2020 NC NOW State Conference Registration and Sponsorship Form (so you register online and can order t-shirts, etc, but can mail your check in or make other arrangements). Note: Attending for NOW members can be free.
Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/939921049819407/
- Want to be a sponsor? Use 2020 NC NOW Conference Registration Form with Sponsorships.
- Want to do a workshop related to getting people to vote, activism and organizing, helping candidates, or skills to help our activism or organizing? Use the form at NC NOW 2020 Conference Workshop Proposal.
Past conference themes and speakers
NC NOW has state conferences every year, at which we do elections for our statewide officers. NC NOW members were involved in regional conferences every 2 years through 2015, and in the National NOW conferences every year.
** Past NC NOW state conferences **
2020 – Voting Our Future NOW! –via Zoom – keynote speaker is new NOW President Christian Nunes
2019 – The Time For Justice Is NOW! – with Charlotte NOW in Charlotte – keynote speaker is Rep. Deb Butler
2018 – Women Rising Up NOW – with Raleigh NOW in Raleigh– keynote speaker is Civil Rights Attorney, Anita Earls
2017 – Mobilizing Women NOW – with Fayetteville NOW in Fayetteville – keynote speaker NC Secretary Of State Elaine Marshall
2016 – Women Making History NOW – with Raleigh NOW in Raleigh – keynote speaker NC State Auditor Beth Wood
2015 – Focusing Women’s Power NOW – with Triad NOW in Winston-Salem – keynote speaker Congresswoman Alma Adams
2014 – Demand Change NOW – with Durham NOW in Chapel Hill – keynote speaker Rep. Pricey Harrison
2013 – Reclaiming NC NOW – with Fayetteville NOW in Fayetteville – Katy Munger from Progress NC
2012 – Fight Like It’s 1969! Equality and Rights for All Women NOW! – with Charlotte NOW in Charlotte – MaryBe McMillan, Secretary of AFL-CIO NC
2011 – They say “Get Back” – We say “Fight Back!” – with Fayetteville NOW – Rep. Diane Parfitt
2010 – Hope For The Best – Work For It NOW! – with Fayetteville NOW – activist Mandy Carter
2009 – Know Your Rights NOW – with Charlotte NOW in Charlotte – Former President Rebecca Mann
2008 – Women Leading NOW – with Raleigh NOW – Senator Janet Cowell
** SE Regional Conference **
2014 – The Future of Feminism: Forward Together! with Georgia NOW in Atlanta, GA – keynote Patricia Ireland, past president of the National Organization for Women, and labor rights lawyer.
2012 – Powerful Women Joining Forces NOW! with NC NOW in Raleigh – keynote Dr. Anu Kumar, VP of IPAS in Chapel Hill