2019 State Conference – The Time For Justice Is NOW
There are many examples of injustice around us: women’s health being targeted, disparities in school suspensions along racial lines, women’s reports of sexual assault and harassment being discounted, treatment of migrants and immigrants, mass incarceration of minorities, underpayment for women’s work, re-segregation of our schools to name just a few.
NOW is part of the resistance, in fact, we help organize resistance! Please join us at our NC NOW State conference to learn more about injustices and what we can do about them! Join us in Charlotte on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019, 9am-4pm.
Saturday, November 9, 2019
9:00am-4:00pm (doors open at 8:30am)
First Methodist Church in Uptown Charlotte,
501 N. Tryon St., Charlotte NC
Keynote speaker: Rep. Deb Butler
Online registration has 2 parts – part 1 is to register online and sign up for workshops (first come first serve). Part 2 is to pay – either online or by printing and mailing in the NC NOW News Fall 2019 Registration form.
Hotel Information: The Fairfield Inn & Suites, Charlotte Uptown, ~$130.00, breakfast included.
Link: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cltut-fairfield-inn-and-suites-charlotte-uptown/ (updated)
Address: 201 S. McDowell St, Charlotte, NC 28204
Phone: (704) 372-7550
Note: We did not reserve a block of rooms
Other options: AirBnB, email firstname.lastname@example.org for an option.
If you prefer to stay at someone’s house, we can try to arrange that (the more notice, the better!). Email email@example.com with your name, contact information (phone/email), and any allergies (food or pet) or special conditions.
Friday Evening Event, 11/8/19, in Charlotte
We are doing an Open Mic event! Come prepared to share, or enjoy what others are doing. We can share art and antics or ideas for programs. FB event for Friday night Open Mic is at https://www.facebook.com/events/500506593831261/.
- Want to run an ad in the conference program? Use the 2019 State Conference Ad Bulletin Form or register online here.
- If you represent an organization who wants to table at the event, please fill in the form at 2019 NC NOW State Conference Tabling Form or register online here.
- We are doing a silent auction again this year. People come up with some neat stuff, and sometimes historical items. Have anything to donate? Please use the 2019 NC NOW_Silent_Auction_Application and get the item to Nancy Cook and/or the Durham NOW chapter. Contact information on the form.
- Want to do a workshop related to mobilizing women or sharing activist skills? Use the form at NC_NOW_State_Workshop_Proposal_2019.
- Mark your size at the online conference registration page if you want to buy a special limited edition conference “Time For Justice Is NOW” t-shirt. We will sell them at the state conference on a first come, first serve basis.
Past conference themes and speakers
NC NOW has state conferences every year, at which we do elections for our statewide officers. NC NOW members are also involved in regional conferences every 2 years, and in the National NOW conferences every year.
** Past NC NOW state conferences **
2018 – Women Rising Up NOW – with Raleigh NOW in Raleigh– keynote speaker is Civil Rights Attorney, Anita Earls
2017 – Mobilizing Women NOW – with Fayetteville NOW in Fayetteville – keynote speaker NC Secretary Of State Elaine Marshall
2016 – Women Making History NOW – with Raleigh NOW in Raleigh – keynote speaker NC State Auditor Beth Wood
2015 – Focusing Women’s Power NOW – with Triad NOW in Winston-Salem – keynote speaker Congresswoman Alma Adams
2014 – Demand Change NOW – with Durham NOW in Chapel Hill – keynote speaker Rep. Pricey Harrison
2013 – Reclaiming NC NOW – with Fayetteville NOW in Fayetteville – Katy Munger from Progress NC
2012 – Fight Like It’s 1969! Equality and Rights for All Women NOW! – with Charlotte NOW in Charlotte – MaryBe McMillan, Secretary of AFL-CIO NC
2011 – They say “Get Back” – We say “Fight Back!” – with Fayetteville NOW – Rep. Diane Parfitt
2010 – Hope For The Best – Work For It NOW! – with Fayetteville NOW – activist Mandy Carter
2009 – Know Your Rights NOW – with Charlotte NOW in Charlotte – Former President Rebecca Mann
2008 – Women Leading NOW – with Raleigh NOW – Senator Janet Cowell
** SE Regional Conference **
2014 – The Future of Feminism: Forward Together! with Georgia NOW in Atlanta, GA – keynote Patricia Ireland, past president of the National Organization for Women, and labor rights lawyer.
2012 – Powerful Women Joining Forces NOW! with NC NOW in Raleigh – keynote Dr. Anu Kumar, VP of IPAS in Chapel Hill