Various sources are raising alarms about state taxpayer money supporting religious anti-abortion centers known as crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs). There are so many problems with the state budget (like refusal to expand Medicaid), that more money for CPCs is not getting sufficient attention. Unfortunately, the NC legislature has been funneling money to CPCs for years. In 2019, they have quadrupled the amount every fiscal year going to “Human Coalition,” a Texas based anti-abortion organization that runs a crisis pregnancy center in Raleigh. Public funding of CPCs has been covered this year by the News and Observer, Charlotte Observer, Rewire.com, NC NOW’s Legislative Updates, and NC Policy Watch. The problem of CPCs receiving state funding recently got the attention of UNC Law Professor Gene Nichol, who weighed in on the problem in “Funding NC crisis pregnancy centers is government sponsored religion,” 7/1/19, which ran in the Charlotte Observer and News and Observer.
Deals for NOW members!
- De Pas: Shocking VAWA Statistics; US Senators, Do Your Job!
- MEDIA ADVISORY: Close The Camps, Stop The ICE Raids – 7/16/19
- NC NOW Legislative Update #23 – 7/15/19
- Chants in Support of Immigrants and Closing Detention Camps
- Report: Two Videos Filmed on Women’s Issues with Triangle Raging Grannies (7/19)