Various sources are raising alarms about state taxpayer money supporting religious anti-abortion centers known as crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs). There are so many problems with the state budget (like refusal to expand Medicaid), that more money for CPCs is not getting sufficient attention. Unfortunately, the NC legislature has been funneling money to CPCs for years. In 2019, they have quadrupled the amount every fiscal year going to “Human Coalition,” a Texas based anti-abortion organization that runs a crisis pregnancy center in Raleigh. Public funding of CPCs has been covered this year by the News and Observer, Charlotte Observer, Rewire.com, NC NOW’s Legislative Updates, and NC Policy Watch. The problem of CPCs receiving state funding recently got the attention of UNC Law Professor Gene Nichol, who weighed in on the problem in “Funding NC crisis pregnancy centers is government sponsored religion,” 7/1/19, which ran in the Charlotte Observer and News and Observer.
Deals for NOW members!
- Take Action: TweetStorm to push VAWA on 10/16/19 during DVAM
- Rep. Deb Butler to Keynote 2019 NC NOW Conference
- Help Move the Ratify ERA Bill Along in NC, From ERA-NC Alliance
- Organizing Against Racism Groundwater Training in Fayetteville on 10/19/19
- Remember My Name Domestic Violence Vigil – 10/10/19 in Fayetteville