This week there were two significant developments on our issues–one good and one disappointing. The good news is that HB 358, which would have barred transgender girls and young women from participating in school sports designated for females, is dead. The disappointing news is that a bill to raise the marriage age to 18 with no exceptions (HB 41/SB 35) was gutted. The amended bill brings the existing law into line with the sexual assault statute– something that should have been done when the marital rape exemption was repealed–while retaining all of the archaic exemptions that allow marriage as young as age 14.
Deals for NOW members!
- Military MeToo Panel #3 on Domestic Violence is 5/26/21 at 10:30am
- Act NOW to Stop NC Anti-Abortion Bill HB453 – Onus on Doctors to Question Women, Document Reasons!
- North Carolina NOW Legislative Update #14 – 3 May 2021
- Act NOW to End the Black Maternal Health Care Crisis!
- North Carolina NOW Legislative Update #13 – 26 April 2021