Capturing important articles including some on Texas anti-abortion and vigilante law, new report ranking NC as worst state in the US for wages, workers and women.
The NC NOW Legislative Update #9 summary talks about many things –
– Governor Cooper’s proposed budget
– HB 354 to improve hate crime law, gender and also ethnicity, gender identity, gender expression, disability, and sexual orientation—all categories not covered by our present law
– legislators interfering in settlement to a lawsuit that extended the time that absentee ballots would be accepted and counted, and introduced a bill to that would ban the Attorney General from settling lawsuits that name legislative leaders without including the legislators in the negotiations.
– response to the voter suppression bill, SB326, following national trends
– North Carolina Republicans have joined the national movement to bar trans women from participating in school sports by introducing HB 358
Rural hospitals are cutting services and even worse, closing. Billions of dollars meant to support health care in NC have been sent to other states, to those states smart enough to take advantage of great deal to expand Medicaid. The NCGA leadership needs to stop hurting NC’s people and economy. Expand Medicaid NOW! The Coronavirus is exposing how close to the edge many people live.
Lawmakers, workers, business owners to announce legislation on 3/19/19 raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour over five years, ending sub-minimum wages, repealing exemptions for agricultural and domestic workers. This $15in5 bills has been introduced before in NC, and would help women more than anyone else.
Prof. Gene Nichol really inspired a High School student who went with NC NOW to see Nichol speak on income inequality. The student wrote a paragraph on his experience which began, “I learned so much from a man I knew so little about, that man’s name was Gene R. Nichol.” Read more here.
High School student writes about the time he spent volunteering with NC NOW in March, 2017. His topic is the gender wage gap.
Read about what NC NOW and chapters did and pondered in the first few months of 2016, including how HB 2 is DISASTROUS for women, to status of SCOTUS, to our upcoming ERA event on 4/12/16, to a statement on what happened with Melissa Harris-Perry. Read on!